» About/Submit » Archive » Authors » Search » Random » Statistics » Forum » RSS Feed Updates Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
iToons is a webcomic that asks the simple question "What would it be like if you took every comic strip in existence, put them in a blender, and pressed max?"
The idea was inspired by Square Root of Minus Garfield, which applies a similar concept to the Garfield comic strip. It's also partially inspired by websites such as The Comics Curmudgeon and The Comic Strip Doctor, two websites devoted to critically analyzing the flaws of newspaper comics. I thought it would be fun to see a combination of these two concepts.
What it shares in common with its parent webcomic is two things. One, it relies completely upon reader submissions to update. And two, any kind of mash-up is accepted provided it's PG rated.
Almost any comic is free game for parody. Just to make sure we're on the legal side of the law, any and all comic strips, webcomics, mangas, or any other art assets are the copyrights of their respective owners. Any comic posted on this site is intended for parody and may not be used for financial gain.
"iToons"... like "iTunes"?
Well, yeah, it is a pun on the Apple Corporation's service. But being a SRoMG spin-off, there's also a mathematical reference. The small letter "i" denotes imaginary numbers when used mathematically. Since "toon" is another name for a cartoon or comic strip, we're therefore presenting imaginary comic strips. Cool name, right? Forum treader and contributor Urlance Woolsbane suggested iToon. I merely added the "s."
Trust me. It's a much better name than Square Root of Minus Comics would have been.
Cool! Can I send you a comic?
Yes, you can! But, like with our other comics, there are rules and guidelines.
- Submissions all go to the email firstname.lastname@example.org
- All submissions must be approximately PG-rated. Generally, if it's the kind of thing that would be at home on SRoMG, it's most likely acceptable. Please, no gore, no sex, no nudity, and no language that exceeds the PG rating.
- Please give us your name or handle you want us to use to credit you. If we don't know who you are, we can't publish your comics.
- A typed transcript of your comic must be included. This makes it easier for the vision-impaired to read the comics. Annotations are optional.
- The preferred file format for submissions is PNG. If you can't save it as a PNG, TIF and BMP are also accepted. JPG and GIF are not accepted except in the following special cases:
- For strips that are largely photos, rather than cartoon line art, JPG is acceptable.
- For strips containing animations, GIF is acceptable.
- Give us the name of the comic you're remixing and the date of the original. A link to the original comic is preferred, but if the comic you're using doesn't have an online archive at least include an image of the original. Others may want to use them, too!
- By submitting a strip, you agree that your contribution will be published under the terms of a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike licence.
One comic is off-limits from being remixed:
If you have any questions, feel free to ask on the forum or drop me an email. I'll answer them to the best of my abilities.